Wednesday, January 4, 2012

1Q84 -- Give me that old time sexy assassin surrealist novel


Title: 1Q84
Author: Haruki Murakami
Progress: 25%
Amazon Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
NYT BS Hardcover/E-Book List: #25 (but was in the top 10 for a while)
Book 7 out of 107

I had read a few commercial thrillers in a row and was craving something a little deeper.

Mr. King’s “11/22/63” almost scratched that itch, but not quite. I wanted my brain fed something a little more substantial, chewy and satisfying.

“1Q84” seemed to fill that bill. And it almost adhered to my rules for this project. It was a New York Times bestseller, and did indeed feature a crime, murder in fact. I jumped right in.

Woah. Trippy.

First off, I went into it not expecting what I like in crime thriller fiction, namely, sex, violence, a sense of danger and a taste of darkness. I was expecting an arty, dense, and deep read, but without much fun. I guess I was expecting a Japanese version of a Franzen novel with a little surrealism thrown in. (When discussing Mr. Murakami, people talk about surrealism a lot.)

Not too far into the book, a sexy female assassin kills a man with needle to the base of neck.

That’s the kind of thing that might happen in a Sandra Brown novel, but not a book by a writer who collects literary awards like he’s an 8-year-old collecting little league participation trophies.

And there is sex too, not graphic scenes, but adult thoughts about erotic situations, followed by the emotional aftermath of such encounters.

To my surprise, I’m getting my thriller itch scratched and my artful literature muscle massaged. I have cake and am eating it too. Nice. Thank Mr. Murakami!



From the first 25% of “1Q84”, here is what I’ve learned…

I like character development. Pages and pages are devoted to careful construction of living characters who have been grown, groomed and perfected like perfect little origami trees, each complete unique and yet each defined to the point that there is an elegant discipline evident in the eye of the creator.

I like weird coincidences, and this novel is full of them, small patterns and references that tie to each other, creating a support structure, but for what I’m not sure yet. The mystery that drives this book isn’t an obvious one. It’s subtle, delicate. How are these two characters (the sexy assassin and the bookish giant) going to come together?

Two stories are being told, each completely separate, and toward the end of quarter one, they have begun to flirt with each other, winking, touching hands, but not quite joining yet.

The whole thing feels Japanese, the patience of it, the elegance, the simplicity that belies a deep, perhaps incomprehensible, dare I say inscrutable, complexity.

Also need to note this…Mr. Murakami, like the previous authors I’ve read, also seems to be an outliner, even though he denies it in interviews. His plan seems quite clear for Quarter One, develop the two stories, and the two main characters, and then begin the connection process at precisely the 25% mark. It happened right on schedule and the next quarter is going to go in quite a different direction now that the two halves of this novel have begun to impact each other.

Underneath it all are the mysteries that make it hard to put the book down. Who are the Little People? What’s up with the second green moon? Did the world change somehow when Aomame went down that ladder?

If this is ever a movie, and it never will be, David Lynch should write and direct. Only the auteur behind Mulholland Falls and Inland Empire could capture anything close the dizzy feeling this hypnotic novel creates.

What have we learned? First off, we learned that even an arty novel can have sexy female assassins. Good to know. Second, don’t be so afraid of character development. If they are good characters, fleshing them out with deep backstory is fine. Sometimes modern commercial thrillers speed along so fast they read more like story outlines than completed novels. At 1,000 pages, I think 1Q84 is complete, and if the first 250 are any indication, each one will be worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment